Roast Pumpkin Soup

After all the decadence of last weekend, I thought I’d cook something light yet filling. But an entire blog post dedicated to Roast Pumpkin Soup?! Why not, if it’s a celebration of that beautiful, fleshy orange-yellow fruit!

Yes, pumpkin is technically a fruit since it grows from a flower and bears seeds. It is widely grown across the world. Did you know that India is one of the largest international producers of pumpkins, apart from the United States, Canada, Mexico & China?

Apart from turning into a carriage for Cinderella, pumpkins have many other uses – in cooking, as animal feed, making pumpkin seed oil and of course for making Jack-o’-lanterns for Halloween! While cooking, pumpkins can be boiled, baked, steamed or roasted. My personal favourite is roasting, which gives a slightly sweet, caramel-ey flavour to the pumpkin and also a beautiful colour. 


"If herbs didn't exist, I'd give up cooking tomorrow" says Jamie Oliver, and I completely get that sentiment. Though, I can't decide whether basil or rosemary is my favourite herb! For this recipe, I like to add a few sprigs of rosemary from my kitchen garden to impart its pungent, pine-like aroma to the soup.

This recipe makes 2 generous servings.

You’ll need:

How to:

Labels: , , , ,